This Braised Vegetables recipe is truly easy and can be varied every time you get your CSA deliveries, the farmers’ markets start filling up, or your grocery is running a special on Earth’s early spring goodies. It’s an easy match-up for any meal.
- 15 scallions, trimmed from white to green about 6 inches long, then halved crosswise, preferably Texas scallions
- 14 garlic cloves, unpeeled, bottoms removed
- 1 pound small red or yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
- ½ pound peeled baby carrots, about 17
- 2¼ cups sugar snap peas
- 1¾ cups snow peas, trimmed
- 1¾ cups fresh (or frozen) baby green peas
- 1 pint red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups roasted vegetable broth or chicken broth, homemade or commercial low-sodium
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional, Parmigiano Reggiano preferred
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Combine the scallions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, sugar snap peas, snow peas, green peas, and tomatoes in a large, shallow casserole. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and toss. Drizzle the olive oil over the top and pour in the broth. Bake until all of the vegetables are soft, about 2 hours.
- If using the cheese, sprinkle the cheese over the top and place under the broiler until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.