Serves 4 to 6
- 3 c cooked brown rice
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 c broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 of 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c shelled edamame, cooked
- 1/2 c green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 c black olives, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 c walnuts, chopped and toasted (substitute nut of choice)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T herb-infused extra virgin olive oil (or use plain olive oil and add some chopped, fresh parsley and basil)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 navel orange
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the broccoli until just tender.
- Throw everything but the last seven ingredients into a large bowl, and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, mixing well.
- Add the mixture to the rice and vegetables, and combine. Segment the orange and squeeze the juice from it over the salad.
- Give the salad a final toss until well-combined.
- Enjoy cold or at room temperature.