Cornbread gets a kick with the addition of freshly ground black pepper and buttermilk.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil plus ⅓ cup
- 1½ cups (225 grams) yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cup buttermilk (or almond milk with 1 tablespoon white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ cup (100 grams) fresh corn or 1 ear
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease a seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Place the cast iron skillet in the oven to heat for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, black pepper, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl to blend.
- Whisk the eggs, buttermilk (or almond milk with vinegar), ⅓ cup oil, and honey in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients and fresh corn to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined without overmixing.
- Remove the preheated cast iron skillet and place it on the stovetop or any heatproof surface. Add the batter (you will hear a sizzle!) and bake until golden on the top and edges of the cornbread, 25 to 30 minutes.