This grilled peaches are a quick and easy finale to a grilled meal. Make the sorbet up to three days in advance. Serve the peaches at room temperature with the sorbet. Allow at least 4 hours for the sorbet to chill.
- 4 green tea bags
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 8 medium lemons)
- ½ cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 medium peaches, washed, halved, and pitted
- Fresh mint leaves, torn, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the sorbet: Bring the water, sugar, and honey barely to a boil in a 2-quart pan. Stir to dissolve the sugar and honey. Remove the pan from the heat and add the green tea bags. Steep for 10 minutes, and then remove the bags and let the tea cool to room temperature.
- Once the tea has cooled, add the lemon juice and the ice water and stir to combine.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a wide, shallow freezer-safe container with an airtight lid and freeze for at least 4 hours and up to 4 days before serving. Remove from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving to allow the sorbet to soften slightly.
- Prepare the peaches: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (350º to 400°F).
In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, honey, and salt and stir to combine. Gently fold the peach halves into the mixture, coating them well.
- Grill the peaches, cut side down, for 2 minutes. Then, with tongs, turn the peaches. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes longer, until the peaches get soft and juice begins to pool in the middle.
- Serve the peaches in bowls, 2 halves per person, topped with a large scoop of sorbet. Scatter the torn mint leaves over the top, if desired.
After steeping the tea, resist the urge to squeeze the tea bags to remove excess water as this can make the tea bitter. The sorbet is hard, so let it soften at room temperature for five to ten minutes before serving.