The slightly smoky flavor of piment d’Espelette infuses these easy tuna kebabs with a little something different. If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes so they do not burn. At the same time, marinate the tuna in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. The actual hands-on prep and cook time is just minutes! Serve with tzatziki to balance the peppery bite.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon piment d’Espelette
- 1 pound fresh tuna
- Soak 6 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- In a large sealable plastic bag, combine the olive oil, salt and piment d’Espelette, seal it securely, and squish the bag until the contents form a thin paste.
- Cut the tuna steak lengthwise, against the grain, into ½-inch thick pieces. Place the pieces into the bag and gently rub to coat. Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes (see Kitchen Tip).
- Heat a grill to high. Thread the tuna carefully on the skewers and sear on each side for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, or to desired doneness. Serve immediately with tzatziki. Click here to find The Weiser Kitchen’s twist on this classic condiment.
- Don’t make the mistake of leaving it to marinate much longer than 20 minutes. The tuna will lose any flavor of its own and taste only of pepper.
- If you can’t find piment d’Espelette, hot Hungarian paprika makes an acceptable substitute.