This Yemeni spice blend is a traditional addition to chicken soup. It’s also a great all-purpose warm spice mix. Use as a rub and smear liberally on chicken, lamb, or beef one hour before cooking. If you can find fresh turmeric root, grab it and give it a try in this mix.
- ¼ cup ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the cumin, turmeric, cardamom, and coriander In a cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pepper.
- Store in a tightly-sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 month.