Adapted from Molly O’Neill, this olive chutney may be used as a garnish or sauce for fish, beef, chicken, or lamb. Spread on crostini or crackers and serve as an appetizer.
- 3 cups (144 grams) pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lemon, segments only (skin, pith, seeds and skin between slices removed), roughly chopped
- ½ fresh chile pepper (1 teaspoon, 4 grams), seeded and minced, jalapeño preferred
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the olives, garlic, chile pepper, lemon, capers, and olive oil in a food processor. Pulse until everything is just combined, but still chunky in texture. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 days before serving to allow flavors to develop. Chutney may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.