Pomegranate molasses gives this delicious apple sauce an extra sweet and tart kick.
- 3 pounds tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and roughly chopped, about 8 cups
- ⅓ cup pomegranate molasses
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large strip of orange zest
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, add the apples, pomegranate molasses, cinnamon stick, and orange zest. Stir well to combine.
- Cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apples will breakdown and brown in color; some apple chunks should remain.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and orange zest and cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.