This aioli, or garlicky Mediterranean mayonnaise, is packed with lemony flavor. It’s delicious on grilled vegetables, poached fish or as a dip for crudites, artichokes, and fried food. For an adult-spin, we love it with chicken nuggets.
- 1 large egg yolk
- Pulp of 4 to 5 roasted garlic cloves (approximately 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon juice from preserved lemon
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1½ cups olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced preserved lemon
- In the bowl of a food processor or in a high powered blender, add the egg, garlic, lemon juices, mustard and pepper, Process or blend until smooth.
- With the motor running, drizzle in the canola oil and then the olive oil in a steady stream, mixing until lightened in color and emulsified.
- Transfer to a bowl. (Aioli may be made up to a day in advance to this point. Cover and refrigerate until use). Before serving, gently stir in the minced preserved lemons just before serving.
Aioli will last in the refrigerator for a day or so, but it will strengthen in flavor considerably. Make sure to keep it closed since it will easily pick up the flavors and smell of other things in the refrigerator.