This colorful salad can be adapted to include most summer vegetables and is delicious served with grilled fish. Add sliced avocado for a hearty vegetarian and gluten-free main meal.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ears corn, shucked, kernels cut from the cob
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1½ cups assorted grape tomatoes, quartered
- ¾ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup queso fresco or farmer’s cheese
- ¼ cup pickled onions (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- ¼ cup Honey Lime Vinaigrette (or more if desired)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring 2 cups of water and ¼ teaspoon salt to boil in a small saucepan. Add the corn and boil until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Bring 1 cup of water and ¼ teaspoon salt to boil in the same pan. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender and germs released from the seeds, about 15 minutes. Transfer the cooked quinoa to a bowl or tray to cool.
- Combine the corn, quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, cheese, onions, and cilantro. Add ¼ cup Honey Lime Vinaigrette, or to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.