This Sicilian-inspired slaw is delightful when freshly tossed and even better the next day, after the cabbage has exuded its juices and all the flavors marry.
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ head red cabbage, finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- ¼ head green cabbage, finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- ¼ red onion, peeled, and julienned (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives, cut in half
- 3 large blood oranges
- In large mixing bowl, combine the honey, oil, salt, and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the cabbages, onion, and olives and mix together.
- Holding 1 orange over the bowl containing the cabbage mixture, peel, remove any bitter white pith, and separate into segments, making sure the juices run into the bowl. Repeat with remaining oranges.
- Toss to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate in a closed container. The slaw will last about 2 days.