Truly a dish for garlic fans, the Romanian garlic sauce (mujdei de usteroi) is great on everything from dense black bread to crudités.
- 1 head garlic, peeled and separated into cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- ½ cup sour cream, reduced or full-fat
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Combine the garlic and salt in a mortar and use a pestle to make a paste.
- Scrape the garlic into a small bowl and add the oil. Whisk with a fork until well mixed and lightened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and black pepper. Mix well. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.