Got leftover smoked salmon hanging around in your refrigerator? With the addition of a little goat cheese and some leeks are transformed into the centerpiece of an elegant meal -Smoked Salmon Mini Quiches.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 package (15-ounces) pie dough, Immaculate all-natural, strongly preferred, defrosted in the refrigerator overnight
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup (½ stick) salted butter, preferably cultured
- 6 leeks, green tops removed and root ends removed and washed well (see Kitchen Tips)
- 1¼ cups crème fraîche
- ¾ cup crumbled mild goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano (about 3 fat sprigs)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves, tough stems discarded (about 8 sprigs)
- ¼ cup seeded, finely diced yellow, orange or red bell peppers
- ½ cup pitted, diced green castelnuovo olives or pitted Greek olives, or a mixture of both
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, preferably Nova, cut into julienne strips
- Spray muffins tins with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Roll or pat the defrosted dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut into 24 circles, 5 inches in diameter. Place each into a muffin tin, gently pushing it into the bottom and up the sides. Refrigerate the muffins tins for 25 to 30 minutes while you make the filling.
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat and add the oil, cooking until the oil shimmers. Add the butter and as soon as it foams, add the leeks and stir well, cooking until they just soften. Reduce the heat to a low, stir, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the leeks are completely soft and tender.
- While the leeks cook, preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the crème fraîche, goat cheese, dill, oregano, thyme, peppers, olives, and eggs and stir until fully blended. Add the nova and stir well. Add the leeks and stir well.
- Remove the muffins tin(s) and fill each to the top with filling mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until the center is set and just a bit jiggly (but not runny; it will continue to cook while it cools).
- These mini-quiches can be placed in containers, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.