Vanilla is consistently voted the top ice cream flavor in America. This version is smooth and creamy, with plenty of egg yolks, cream and whole milk.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste
- In a large saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a simmer.
- While the milk mixture is heating, place the egg yolks, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Whisk until the eggs turn a pale yellow.
- Once the milk is hot, take off the heat. Slowly drizzle ½ cup milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from cooking. Whisk another 1/2 cup milk to the eggs, then whisk the egg-milk mixture back into the remaining warm milk. Add the vanilla paste and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl, set over another medium bowl filled with ice and water to allow the base to cool. Stir the mixture now and again to help heat escape.
- As soon as the mixture is cool, transfer to a an ice cream maker and follow the directions. Once it is churned, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until ready to eat.