This rich raw avocado sauce is both light and hearty. It’s also very flexible and may be served with all kinds of fresh vegetables, including corn, radishes, green tomatoes, fresh peas, pea shoots, carrots.
- 1 pound spaghetti, we used gluten-free Schar
- 15 basil leaves
- 10 cilantro leaves
- Juice of one lemon
- Finely grated zest of one lemon
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Cholula Sauce or Frank’s RedHot Sauce, or more to taste
- 5 very ripe Hass avocados
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced zucchini
- 1 cup finely diced yellow squash
- 1 cup finely diced red pepper
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions, reserving about ¼ cup of the cooking water. Set aside.
- Place the basil, cilantro, lemon juice, zest, salt and hot sauce in a food processor. Cut open the avocados, remove the pit and scoop the pulp into the food processor. Process until completely smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil and process until fully incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Place the zucchini, yellow squash, and red pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the sauce and pasta, tossing until thoroughly incorporated. Serve immediately.
- Unlike most avocado-based uncooked foods, this one does not turn brown quickly if covered in a closed container in the refrigerator.
- If you are a big fan of bright herb flavors, stir in an additional 1 teaspoon finely chopped basil and 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro to the finished sauce just before serving.