These recipes do not include cow’s milk sugars (lactose) or cow’s milk protein (casein, whey). We only include packaged products in our recipes if we have found a dairy free version made in a plant that follows preventative cross contamination processes or does not produce the allergen, and states that on the package or website.
Do not cook or serve any dishes that contain dairy in a highly allergic home or when a highly allergic person is present, no matter how well labeled or out of reach. Discuss how to handle food preparation in advance with any guest who has a serious allergy.
For more information on avoiding dairy, click here.
Dark chocolate is a type of chocolate made from cacao beans. It is also known as semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. It generally has a higher cacao content than milk chocolate, with cacao percentages ranging from 35% to 100%. Baking chocolate has 100% cacao and is very bitter. Only up to 12% of dark chocolate is allowed to be milk solids. Dark chocolate’s melting point is between 86 and 90°F, depending on the cacao percentage. Dark chocolate ranges from semisweet in the lower cacao ranges to bittersweet in the upper ranges.
Dashi is a broth that comprises an important staple of Japanese cuisine. Dashi is used in soup and noodle dishes. Kelp and dried bonito is the base of the broth; however, other ingredients are often added. Dashi can be bought pre-prepared, or it can be prepared at home. Both prepared Dashi and its ingredients are available at some supermarkets, and at Asian specialty stores or online.
After using a pan to fry or cook a food, it may be deglazed by adding a liquid, usually a stock or wine. This loosens any food particles that are stuck to the bottom. The flavorful mixture produced from deglazing is often used when making sauces.
Demerara sugar is a specialty sweetener that is unrefined and minimally processed. It was named for the region in Guyana where it originated. With large crystals and a golden color, it is prized as an ingredient in baking and cooking, but some people like it in their coffee as well. A derivative of sugar cane, it is made by pressing the cane to form a thick syrup. The syrup is left to dehydrate and the end result is the golden crystals that give this sugar its singular appearance. The flavor is reminiscent of molasses. The crystals stay crunchy when exposed to heat, so it’s ideal for topping baked goods.
Diabetes is a disease in which the body has trouble breaking down glucose due to the issues regarding insulin. There are two main forms of diabetes. Type 1 occurs when the body does not produce insulin, and it is typically diagnosed in childhood. It accounts for only 10% of cases of diabetes. The other 90% of cases fall under the type 2 category, where the body does not react properly to insulin. For more information on diabetes, click here.
DOUBLE ZERO FLOUR
Double zero flour is a flour originally developed in Italy. The 00 represents how fine the flour is; 00 flour is a very fine powder. 00 flour usually has a medium protein content and is often used for pizza and pasta recipes. 00 flour can be bought at specialty Italian or baking stores, or online.
A dough hook is an attachment for a stand mixer that is specially suited for mixing and kneading dough.
DRIED (DESICCATED) COCONUT
Dried coconut is grated coconut that has been dried. It is used as a topping in cooking and can be incorporated into baking as well. Dried coconut can be bought at most major supermarkets, and specialty stores, or online.
DRIED PERSIAN LIME
Persian lime sounds exotic, but it is actually the species of lime commonly found in the supermarket produce section. Dried Persian lime is the result of an ancient process in which the lime is boiled in a salty brine and then dried in the sun for many weeks. During this time its green skin becomes black or brown. The flavor of the dried Persian lime combines the sour, citrusy notes of fresh limes with sweet, fermented, complex notes that are unique to this preparation. They are available whole or in powder form; you can make the powder yourself by removing any seeds and pulverizing the lime in a food processor. If you use a whole dried lime, pierce it with a knife a few times for maximum flavor.
Dutch-process, or Dutched, cocoa is a method for producing cocoa products, in which an alkaline substance is added to the cocoa. The process neutralizes acids that are present in the cacao, and therefore makes the chocolate less sour. It is most often used in producing cocoa powder; however it is rarely used for chocolates. Dutch processing also gives chocolate a darker color. It is also called alkalized cocoa. Although the method was used by the ancient Aztecs, it is named for the Dutch scientist who rediscovered in modern times.