Desserts of all kinds have been around for centuries, with the earliest known dessert dating back to the 1600s, deriving from the French word “desservir” which means to ‘clear the table’. This is more than likely how we got to the point of telling our children to clean their plates before eating anything sweet.
However, sweets have been around since prehistoric times when ancient Egyptians used honey on their fruits and nuts. The Chinese, Romans, and the Greeks used sesame seeds to cure their sweet-tooth. It’s not a secret that desserts play a large role in our family holidays, our dinners with friends, and just our everyday sit-down meal with our family.
We fall in love all over again with wedding cupcakes, we celebrate over birthday cakes, and we congratulate new lives over baby-shaped suckers – desserts are always there to say something encouraging at the right time.
Top Picks Summary
- Authenzo Kitchen Butane Torch Lighter
- Jo Chef Kitchen Torch/Blow Torch
- Tintec Chef Cooking Torch Lighter
- EurKitchen Butane Culinary Kitchen Torch
- Sondiko Culinary Torch
The History of Creme Brulee
Creme Brulee is a popular, delicious rich custard generally with hardened caramel placed on top. With the holidays in full effect, this treat is sure to be a favorite at your next family dinner. Even when the holidays are over you can enjoy this super delicate dessert any time of the year you would like.
“The Burnt Cream”
While one of the first mentions of Creme Brulee came from France in 1691, Spain and England both claim to have created the burnt dessert first, before anyone else. So it’s not actually certain where the idea came from, but we do know how the dessert was meant to be served.
Typically served cold, the creme brulee would have caramelized sugar on top of the custard, thus giving it the name “the burnt cream”. There were even some versions of the dessert where instead of caramelized sugar on top, they would have a caramel disk that would sit on top of the custard, but the true way is to caramelize the sugar.
The Creme Brulee Torch
While you don’t have to use torches, this will be the best tool you could use for caramelizing the sugar, if you want to keep the creme brulee true to its name. The torch is a culinary trick used by the best chefs and will finish off the Brulee with a tiara of sorts. So when making Creme Brulee, how do you know what torch is best to buy? What Creme Brulee Torches would be the best and create a beautiful finish on your dessert?
In this article, we’ve reviewed some of the best Creme Brulee Torches, and even created a buying guide to help you decide just which Burlee torch will be best for you!
Top 5 Creme Brulee Torches Under $30
Authenzo Kitchen Butane Torch Lighter
This torch falls on the number one spot due to not only its price and durability, but it’s also refillable and adjustable too, making this inexpensive torch lighter one of the most versatile. It also obtains a safety feature that locks up when wrongly activated or operated. Perhaps one of the coolest things about the Authenzo Kitchen Butane Torch is that even though it’s called a kitchen torch, you can use it on much more than just food and dessert- some examples are DIY jewelry, ignition cigars, and even jewelry cleaning.
This torch is also made lightweight and has been reviewed as a torch that’s been made with great, quality material. Hence why it’s so durable and sure to last you for some time. Whether you’re a professional or a first-timer, this lighter is super easy to use and well worth getting your flame on with.
- Strong and powerful for its price, safe and easy to use
- Some users have reported that it doesn’t last long or is not made out of the best materials
Jo Chef Kitchen Torch/Blow Torch
This is the torch you will want to have if you’re into professional, chef-approved tools in the kitchen but you want to spend Wal-Mart prices. The Jo Chef Kitchen Blow Torch is stylish, durable, safe, and used in upscale restaurants across the nation. What’s not to love? You can use it on more than just your creme brulee too, of course, but it seems as if it’s especially delicious late at night when you get the munchies for something sweet!
The Jo Chef also has a safety feature, protecting the user from any misoperation on their part or even a malfunction in the torch. There’s a knob to control the flame so you’re always able to control the strength of the fire, and the best part is you don’t have to be experienced to use it – just teach yourself slowly.
- Upscale restaurant level, super powerful
- Users report dangerous high flames at times
Tintec Chef Cooking Torch Lighter
Tintec is a culinary torch for an amazing price, and also one of the only torches that you’re able to move around by unscrewing the metal base. This beauty also has a safety feature so that if you accidentally tip it, it knows not to have the flame wide open and it will keep itself from tipping over and burning. It’s easy to use and helps create that perfect caramel topping for your custard.
This is another refillable torch that you can use for many years to come, and you can use it on many other projects and other art, not just your Brulee. Many customers have enjoyed the ease of use and the reliability of this little torch, especially for the price.
- Removable base, versatile with food & art
- Have to push the button while using the flame, not great for long use or large meals
EurKitchen Butane Culinary Kitchen Torch
[CLICK ON IMAGE FOR THE PRICE]
This professional kitchen torch is one of the newer tools on our list today, but certainly not any less reliable. The EurKitchen torch is an upgraded model so you’re sure to get all of the new features she has to offer, but that’s not all – this torch is filled with lots of versatility as well the next, with adjustable flames and safety features to keep you from burning down the house.
One of the best features of the EurKitchen torch is the handguard, it keeps your hand from getting hot while using the flame. She’s also got one of the sturdiest bases out of all the torches here on this list, leaving it standing there on the counter and walking away for a few seconds doesn’t have to be such a catastrophe any longer.
- Large hand guard, large sturdy base
- Some users have had troubles putting out the flame, issues with the gas gauge
Sondiko Culinary Torch
[CLICK ON IMAGE FOR THE PRICE]
Sondiko makes a super sturdy, and versatile torch also, definitely worth the price and more. Easy to operate and safe, the Sondiko stands at the top of its list and beats out even those that are much more expensive. This creme brulee torch is ideally made for caramelizing the sugar on your Creme Brulee, so it was made with the love for the dessert in mind, making it number one for your Brulee’s.
- Easy to use, safe, perfect for Creme Brulee
- ‘locking’ the flame can be confusing, not recommended for larger food
Things To Consider Before Buying a Creme Brulee Torch
- You need a Creme Brulee torch, this has been addressed already and we’re ready to shop for one. But the first step in purchasing the right one for you is to know exactly what you need it for and what you are expecting to get out of it. Are you looking for a torch that lasts for years and can be used for large family dinners? If so, you might want to check out something like the Jo Chef or the EurKitchen. If you are solely looking for just your desserts, then something like the Sondiko would be perfect.
- The next major point in your purchase would be the price range. Now, our list consisted of torches under $30, but you might have a budget of $50 – if so, check out some torches that are a little more expensive than the ones we’ve listed. If you’re on a budget, however, the Authenzo might be the best lighter for your price range.
- Don’t think twice about it once you know the one you want and the one you can afford. We can come up with good things and bad things all day long for any of the said products, all we need is the one that does the best job for us. Once you know which one to purchase – you’ll just need to know where to purchase it.
- Where you buy your product may be just as important as what brand you buy. You can choose to shop online and not see the item in person if that is something you are O.K. with. If you’re one of those people that really should look at something face to face before making a decision, it might be best to go out to your local cooking store or cooking section of the store and find your Best Creme Brulee Torches there.
- Once you’ve found it at the store you need it from, all that is left is to proudly purchase that beauty. You’ll be super happy once you have because you know you’re about to caramelize the fire out of that next Creme Brulee!